As God is my Yoda



Luke: “Alright I’ll give it a try”
Yoda: “No. Try not. Do… or do not. There is no try.”—from the movie The Empire Strikes Back

Luke Skywalker and I have a lot in common.

In a matter of two movies his aunt and uncle, the only parents he has ever known have been murdered.
His mentor Obi Wan has been murdered by his father who is Darth Vader the ruthless leader of the Empire.
He is studying to be a Jedi with this little ornery creature Yoda, who seems to know everything but talks in riddles.
Oh and the fate of the galaxy is in his hands.

Ok, well maybe we are not that much alike.

But writing is a lot like studying to be a Jedi master.
It is difficult and frightening and sometimes I feel like I’m blindfolded feeling my way around a cave, with Darth Vader looming in the distance, all the while hearing this weird little voice tell me things in a round about way that I may or may not understand. (also a good scene, but for another post.)


Most times when I open the laptop and stare at the blank page, I have often given the same halfhearted statement as Luke, “Alright, I’ll give it a try”.

And God answers exactly the same way Yoda does. “No. Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.”

Do I believe the idea of writing came from God? Yes I do.

Do I know in my heart that He is the only one who can take my written words out into the world for others to read? Yes, yes I do.

But do I sometimes think He is a crazy Jedi master who expects me to lift an X-Wing fighter out of slimy swamp when I have no idea how to do that?

Absolutely.

Now before you get all uppity and angry because I’m comparing God to Yoda, think about it for a minute.

Yoda is a Jedi Master.
He knows all there is to know regarding the Force and it’s his job to train Luke.
Yoda gives instruction to Luke on how to keep his emotions in check so he can stay true and not go over to the dark side.
Yoda tests Luke repeatedly to see how he handles himself in battle.
He teaches Luke to draw strength from the Force to do the impossible.

But Yoda is only the instructor.
Luke is the one who has been chosen for the job of fighting Darth Vader.


1 Chronicles 28:10 So take this seriously. The Lord has chosen you to build a Temple as his sanctuary. Be strong, and do the work.”

God cannot write these words for me.
God cannot live the experiences I have lived and tell others about it.
He cannot spread the news of what Jesus has done for me.

And He cannot do whatever it is He has put on your heart to do either.
No matter what you are up against today, God is your Yoda too.
He will give you all the wisdom, instruction, skills, power and strength needed.

Ultimately the final act of actually doing something with all of what He supplies us with, is up to us.

And there is no try, just do. Saying “I’ll try” is an excuse for a halfhearted attempt.
It’s us pacifying God.

News flash…..God doesn’t need a pacifier.

What He needs to someone willing to step up and do the work.
What He needs is someone teachable, willing to learn from mistakes and accept instruction.
Someone courageous who can go the distance (three movies if necessary), because it sometimes takes a long time for His plan to completely unfold in our lives.
He needs someone willing to fight, for good to reign over evil.

What he needs is a Jedi.

Are you up for being a Jedi? Or are you making a half hearted attempt? I'd love to hear your thoughts today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment